Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Tuesday, Part 2

This story begins with ponies, and ends with being bullied into a blind date.

I'm doing an embroidery project (have done no work on it in days--too consistently hungover to be trusted with a needle). I call it Happy Ponies. It will be a triptych, rendered in pillows. Ponies, butterflies, and bunnies everywhere.



It's going to be horrible--I'll have to bury it in the towel closet, or possibly give it away. But doing it helps me avoid real life by pretending I live in a world where nice ladies sit around doing needlework, having tea with Miss Marple and blithely discussing the murder in the vicarage. Would you like clotted cream with your scone? So, you say his head was bashed in with a blunt instrument? Could you pass the strawberry jam?

Thinking about all this, I hear the magic ding! on my cellie. Sure enough, another text. I've more or less communicated only by texting in the three days since I got to London. I think actually speaking on the phone is too painfully intimate for the Brits.

It's a text from Penni Penniwether, someone I know through my friend Clarissa (Cally). When she found out I was in London, she insisted on setting me up with some guy. Penny is a snob, and uptight, possibly a result of her unfortunate name. But I said yes because 1. I don't have many friends here and 2. Hopefully we'll go to a fantastic restaurant I can't afford on my own.

Really, though, he'll probably be an awful perve, and we'll go out for pizza.

Anyways, off to bed, I have to get up early for my trip to see the Dartmoor Ponies.

2 comments:

  1. Sorry Ive been out of touch darling. Momma had a relapse and we made the very difficult decision to send her back to Rolling Meadows. The shame this brings upon our family is great and so very disenchanting. Im ready to get away. If Penny suggested you have a date with Chase, RUN THE OTHER WAY. His intentions have always been questionable and Raleigh insists he's homosexual. Love the ponies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear--sorry to hear about your mother, but you know this has been a long time coming. You're getting here what day? I'm still in Devon, but want to be in London when you arrive. And no, his name isn't Chase, it's Gerald. More details soon, kisses.

    ReplyDelete